Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Technology, will it every end?

My radar detector has quit working. Well, it actually works, it just doesn't have sound, which is kind of important if you want to hear it. Boy, I have a hard time driving with out this warning system.

I have spent most of my morning answering questions about Blackberries, Trios, Palms and the differences between them. Later I was trying to call a business in New York but every time it started to ring, the phone would just drop. I finally got through to a different number and let them know about the phone problem. Seems like their "high-tech" phone switch was having a "technical" problem.

This reminds me of a previous boss that I had. He had a PhD in Nuclear Physics and all kinds of other computer related certifications and letters after his name. Anyways, he comes into a meeting with his new Palm pilot and he had a big yellow post-it note on the outside. (sure, I realize that he was going to enter the name and number later but ITS A PALM PILOT, aren't they suppose to go on the INSIDE!). We laughed about for months.

I have been watching some specials that they are doing on the hybrid cars. Seems like there is a whole new group of "hot rodders". But instead of going faster, or being louder or the one with the biggest wheels (don't get me started on this one), these guys are trying to see who can get the best gas mileage. They are reengineering some of the hybrids buy adding additional battery packs. By charging their cars at home (for a grand total of 25 cents per charge), they are get 80+ miles per gallon instead of a measly 53 miles per gallon.
I just filled up my truck this morning and I am really interested in this. I would be the one to gut the inside like a race car. But instead of getting a couple more seconds out of the car, it would be a couple more mpg's. This is coming from a person that owns a vehicle that gets about 4 miles per gallon (okay, I don't drive except off-road, but it makes a good point about the cost of fuel). Luckily, I have a small truck for commuting.

MAYBE I need a wing to help with the mileage. Here are some ideas.


I am listing a few links that might be of interest. Sure, most of you have seen these before but here they are anyways.

Google Maps - I love the way you can just drag them around.

Switchboard - I especially love the reverse lookup (I can see who is selling thing in the local paper)

Nashville Zoo - It doesn't look like I am going to be able to get the zebra off of eBay.











AND, for you 4x4 people:

M715zone.com Wow, a convertible truck. Oh yeah, see previous post about gas prices.

Have a great day.

1 Comments:

Blogger brent d. said...

My truck has a digital readout and will only tell me "feet per gallon" -FPG. I added larger tires so it will cover more ground with each wheel turn and I've added weights to the front of the truck so it will pull it forward.

2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home